Mexico is about a 3-4 hour drive from our place in Arizona, but with everything going with COVID-19, the Mexican borders are officially closed. Our dreams of going to Mexico for a month have been shattered. One of the things I love about Mexico is the food! A place in Mexico where we go has so much amazing fresh food. We definitely miss it. So I decided to cook us some shrimp fajitas.
The last time we went to Mexico, we couldn’t find any Elote. So I decided to make some for our side dish. Here is the recipe.
- 1 pound shrimp 16/20, peeled and deveined
- Smoked Paprika
- Onion Powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Lime
- 1/2 shot of tequila
- 1 jalapeno
- olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 white onion
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 1 orange bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- flour tortillas
- lime wedges to serve
How to Make it
- Preheat oven to high broil
- In a large bowl combine shrimp, smoked paprika, cumin, tequila, lime juice, salt, pepper, chili powder, onion powder. Set aside
- Heat cast iron skillet (you can also use a regular skillet) and add olive oil. Once hot, add shrimp in one layer of pan.
- Cook shrimp until nice color.
- Remove from hot pan to a clean bowl or plate.
- Lay peppers in a tray with olive oil and broil for until skin is soft and nicely charred. Remove and set aside.
- Turn oven off, add the tortillas to warm them up as the oven cools.
- In the previous skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan, once hot add garlic and onion and saute for 1 minute. Once hot and onions are slightly brown, add the bell peppers and stir for about 2 minutes
- Add shrimp back to pan, cook stirring until warm
- Season fajitas with salt and pepper to taste and garnish with cilantro
- Serve shrimp fajitas hot with warmed tortillas and lime wedges.